Pages

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

So this is what it's supposed to feel like?

So my dear son managed to get himself suspended from school today for "inappropriate/agressive physical contact," third offense. I received the call around 1130am. They would keep him in custodial care (his special education classroom) until the end of the day today then he would be on Out-of-School suspension tomorrow. All of this with Fall Break coming up. Grand, eh?
So I come home early to be here to talk to him when he gets home (Celeste is down with bronchitis). Home he gets, and we have a very nice, calm, 45 minute talk. Just the facts, some alternative behavioral options, a little bit of come-to-Jesus. No tempers, no yelling, no lectures. A nice change of pace. I think I might be on to something here.
+PAX+

1 comment:

  1. I figure I might should elaborate on this just a bit. Andrew has has some problems with keeping his calm while transitioning from class to class. It would seem that the crowded hallways set him on edge. In this case, couple it with a kid who decided to get verbally aggressive with Andrew for bumping into him, and we have a recipe for suspension. Anyway, the point of the above post is that; 1. Andre was very lucid during our conversation. He was clear of thought and speech, which is very unusual for him when he is under duress or knows he's in trouble. 2. I had some concerns over how I was going to handle the conversation, and much to my surprise, my fears were unfounded. Thank you Fr. Edward for your sage council. Thank you God for being with me, and keeping me on the right track. +PAX+

    ReplyDelete