Pages

Saturday, December 13, 2014

"My opinion does not matter..."

How can we as Christians, and especially as Catholics, say that we do not judge, that we are inclusive, that we are catholic (being universal), when we withhold the Eucharist, the Holy Communion, the Lord's Supper, from people until they meet our requirements, or or interpretations of what is right and what is wrong...

As I was at Perpetual Adoration in the wee hours of the morning this morning, meditating on the Holy Eucharist, I found myself face-to-face with my own sense of judgement. In my vision, I was a priest, administering Holy Communion when I was confronted by a dear friend of mine, who happens to be a transgender. He came to me and asked... "What about me? What about us?" and indicated the throng of people behind him whom we would label as having "alternative lifestyles." I did not hesitate as I responded, "My opinion [of you] does not matter. As a priest, it is my job to be the minister of God's love to you. Anything else is between you and God." I knew that my friend was baptized, and so I gave him the bread and the cup of Christ. I then went among the throng of people and blessed them and kissed their heads and hands.

As I see it, the Grace of God should not be withheld from those who (we might think) need it the most; but we seem to do just that. Who are we to judge their relationship with the Lord? Who are we to say "You are not yet worthy; you are now worthy?" If anyone comes seeking the Lord, who am I to keep Him from them? God meets people where they are at, on their (both God's and the seeker's) own terms. Who are we to dictate those terms? Come to the Supper of the Lord, Jesus refused no one, turned no one away. If you come in earnest, He will receive you.


No comments:

Post a Comment