Pages

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Thoughts from the Firefly

Book: What are we up to, sweetheart?
River: Fixing your Bible.
Book: I, um... [alarmed] What?
River: Bible's broken. Contradictions, false logistics - doesn't make sense.
[she's marked up the bible, crossed out passages and torn out pages]
Book: No, no. You-you-you can't...
River: So we'll integrate non-progressional evolution theory with God's creation of Eden. Eleven inherent metaphoric parallel
s already there. Eleven. Important number. Prime number. One goes into the house of eleven eleven times, but always comes out one... Noah's ark is a problem.
Book: Really?
River: We'll have to call it early quantum state phenomenon. Only way to fit 5000 species of mammal on the same boat.
[rips out page]
Book: Give me that back.
[snatches back remains of bible from River]
Book: River, you don't fix the Bible.
River: It's broken. It doesn't make sense.
Book: It's not about making sense. It's about believing in something, and letting that belief be real enough to change your life. It's about faith. You don't fix faith, River. It fixes you.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with River's analysis of the book's contents, as well as Sheppard Book's faithful response.
    I think I may be a critical apologist.
    I wonder how that is going to work out for me.
    I'll let you know.
    ~A.

    ReplyDelete