Pages

Sunday, May 12, 2013

First Christian Exile

  Yesterday I wrote an op. ed. piece on how my interest in Christian Mysticism was driven by the fact that I am sick-and-tired, and quite frankly a little embarrassed to be associated with the Christianity of today. I accidentally deleted that Blog post while cleaning up my files. But what I had to say was important enough to at least three people (based on the number of FB likes and comments) that I felt I should reiterate and possibly even elaborate.
  The conflict that I am dealing with comes from a number of fronts, including but not limited to:
1.  I have one friend who is constantly complaining about how Christianity is being attacked and suppressed by the secular world. Well, it is, and it is because we have misused it, we have abused it, and now, like misbehaved children we are getting our toy taken away. Remember the Jews? When they cheesed God off, God sent them into exile, or otherwise set some adversity against them until they realized the error of their ways. Well, we have not, and I suspect that we are not anywhere near realizing the error of our ways. That we are on the verge of Divine Retribution. And that is on us as Christians for not following the Gospels. It is not on the rest of the world for not being believers.
2. I have a couple of friends, who, despite their good intentions, regularly post some pretty severe political commentary or even outright hateful rhetoric on FaceBook, while at the same time espousing the Love of God and claiming to be an ambassador of Christ in the world. There is a verse in the Bible (James 3:11) that says that Salt and fresh water cannot flow from the same well. I suggest my friends, that you mediate on this verse, look back at your posts, and perhaps even your conversations, and wee how and where this might be applicable.
3. Every day, I scan through the news feeds on Religion and Spirituality, and I see the devastating impact that the Christian Right is having on my religion. From the obviousness of Jerry Falwell (who's University I just withdrew from on theological grounds), and the Roman Catholic Church scandals, to right-wing politicians who speak out of both sides of their mouth by admonishing the government for being overly-controlling, but want to make the Bible a part of American governance. I see atheist and anti-theist like Bill Maher taking pot shots at Christianity that are just as ignorant as the people who have worked so hard to give him reason to do it in the first place. I see "good Christians" abroad and here in America, killing, STILL KILLING, in the name of their God and their Bible!?! I see 'Good Christians" judging and condemning, when they should be helping and being compassionate. I see Christians world-wide FORCING Christ ON the world, rather than BEING Christ IN the world.
  Now I know that this malfeasance is not representative of every Christian, any more than every Muslim is an extremist or a terrorist, but it is representative of the body of Christians who get the attention of the media. And, it is representative of a body of Christians who may not even realize that I am talking about them.
  We are on the verge of the First Christian Exile, and if we have learned nothing from the Bible (which is really a question that this whole rant poses), it is that it will be our own fault. If we want to stop it, then we need to get out there and start representing what Christ taught in the Gospels rather than trying to force your interpretations of the Bible them on people. Christ was clear. Love thy neighbour. The rest is commentary.

1 comment:

  1. Wholeheartedly agree. There are more contradictions and more effort is needed to be the sort of Christian (and, likely, it applies to many other faiths) who struggles *against* the lessons and values of faith, morals and good global citizenship. We're none of us perfect, and each should be the last to judge and seek fault in others. Much more would be gained from humility and compassion. If everyone could put half as much effort into love as into hate, we'd see quick and radical change.

    ReplyDelete