Pages

Monday, May 20, 2013

Angels or Good Samaritans

In my youth, I travelled to a distant city. One day, while walking on the outskirts of town, I was set upon by brigands. They emerged from the caves and the cliffs, and descended upon me like hungry lions. They beat me bloody, robbed me and left me on the side of the road for dead. After a time, I was able to get up again. I wandered aimlessly for a while. As I did, I passed many people, some of them turning their heads, some of them steering away, some of them pretending I wasn't there at all. When I was sure that all was lost, and I might never find my way home, two angels appeared to me. They took me under their wings, comforted me, gave me water, and washed the blood from my hands and face. They guided me to the safety of my domicile and disappeared.

V.2 When I was a teenager, I visited New York City with my father. One afternoon, I went for a walk alone in the nearby Riverside Park, a crowded and seemingly safe place. As I reached the end of the maid walkway, I noticed a rough looking crowd hanging out by the train tunnel. I quickly turned to walk back up the way I came, towards the safety of people. Before I had gotten ten paces, I was attacked by the gang of boys. The beat me severely and left me for dead. I laid there for what seemed a long time, beaten and bloodied. Eventually, I was able to get up and try to find help. As I staggered back up the parkway, bleeding, crying, and disoriented, I passed many people. Some on benches on the side of the walkway, some walking towards me. I can remember making eye contact with some of them, and how they would cross to the other side of the path, or just look away. Then I happened upon two elderly gentlemen who took me in their arms, got me cleaned up at a water fountain, found a police officer and saw to it that I found my way home. I never saw the two Good Samaritans again, and I don't know that I ever thanked them, but I want to take a moment to do it now. Gentlemen or Angels, whatever you were, and wherever you are, may God shine favourably upon you.

I don't know why I felt compelled to write two different versions of this story. They are both the truth. The first one is told as a myth, while the second one is just the facts. I guess this ties in with the theme of the last week or so.

+Blessings+
+AMD.G+

No comments:

Post a Comment